Friday, October 29, 2010

Have you ever read...

Well, it had to happen some time. So many books to read, so few people to talk to about how I REALLY feel about them.

You know how it is; you find a book that intrigues you, challenges the way you look at the world, teaches you something new about your culture, your time, your history. Then you lend it to your mum and she says "No. Wasn't my cup of tea, really darling."

Earlier this year I joined a book group through my local library, through which I'm discovering new authors and books I would never have read otherwise. David Ebershoff's The 19th Wife is a classic example...I LOVED it. I'm collecting book recommendations from a few different sources at the moment, some great, others not so great.

And how sucky is that, when someone you respect, whose work you admire, recommends a book that you think is really just awful! Only one thing for it, really.
Sorry, not my cup of tea...

5 comments:

  1. Okay here's your challenge Miss Megan Sayer - find me a book that I'll read from the front cover to the last page.

    Many a time, I too have been recommended a book, bought it, sat down in a comfy chair, read the first page and put it down again. In fact I've got one of those books next to my bed. I've read the first page three times, in two weeks, and that's as far as I got. The first page consists of three words I've never heard of, it's not very interesting, and you wouldn't believe it, a typo. I know it's a miracle I noticed it, but there it was on the first page. It's now going to be added to shelf of unread books.

    So Megan, will you accept my challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! The gauntlet is thrown. Yes, I'll accept Sally!

    So, what would you like to read a book ABOUT?
    Murder mystery?
    Romance?
    Deeply satisfying personal drama?
    Dinosaurs taking over the world?

    Okay, got one for you already. I'd recommend John Marsden's "So Much to Tell You". It'd be classified as Young Adult fiction (unlikely to have words you've never heard of), and is written in the form of a personal journal, making it an easy book to get into. The main character is very insightful, and the story is unforgettable.

    I think you'll like it.
    So, back to you. Will you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Dinasaur taking over the world' would have to be the pick from the list.

    Thanks Megan for your suggesstion. I will be taking you up on this and shall be back to let you know how its gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sigh, Oh OK this is really a little unfair, i want a little more time than every one else in the world so i can have the luxury to read all those yummy books that are just waiting out there. Megan is there a book that has all the options covered?
    Murder mystery?
    Romance?
    Deeply satisfying personal drama?
    Dinosaurs taking over the world?
    :) then perhaps i could just read the one book:)Sally i am so impressed that you picked up the typo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Elizabeth I'm with you on more time to read. Every so often I find myself thinking "what HAVE I been reading for the last ten years, when I'm only now discovering so many amazing books I've never read?"!
    Spent far too much time on Agatha Christie obviously...

    I'll have a think about a book that covers all bases...those dinosaurs are a bit of a foil though.

    And speaking of good old Agatha, ever read Murder on the Orient Express? One of my all-time favourite weekend reads, even when I've almost memorised half of it...: )

    ReplyDelete